Saturday, September 24, 2011

Whew! Saturday already!?

Does anyone else notice how quickly the days and weeks fly by?! I get excited every Friday for the weekend then suddenly it's Monday at 5:30A.M. and my alarm is buzzing that annoying sound.  I love work, don't get me wrong, but GEEZ, can't the time slow down?

This past week was the second full week of school for the students.  I discussed the Civil War briefly with the kids in 8th grade because our upcoming story was about some involved soldiers. It was crazy to see how many 13 and 14 year olds thought the Civil War was the "One with the British" and that Adolf Hitler was involved.  It goes to show how important social studies is!!!

I also let my students work on their personal narrative this week during class.  I know that they're in middle school so big projects should be completed at home, but I figured I'd be nice. I'd hate to see a student leave the project for last minute and not be able to ask me any questions that they may have. I did read some early submissions and they were awesome!! One 7th grader wrote about her first time flying.  She was so detailed and her descriptive language was beyond amazing.  I seriously felt like I was on the plane with her!  I couldn't help but praise her on her near-perfect assignment.

I think this coming week I am going to have the students debate on a current controversial topic.  I am thinking maybe dress code, standardized testing or a political topic. The kids could use some knowledge of current events and have the opportunity to share their opinions.  We'll see how it goes.

I'm off to take my Husky Juno for his favorite time of day - a walk. See you soon, readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment