Monday, October 3, 2011

Love and Appreciation :-)

Today at school, I had the honor of hearing about Rachel Joy Scott.  Rachel Scott was the first of the thirteen Columbine victims, and although she was a mere 16 when she passed, her legacy lives on.  Rachel was invested in making the world a better place through compassion and kindness.  

To sum a 6 hour retreat in honor of Rachel up in a few words, my school is trying to make a chain reaction.  A chain of kindness and compassion for everyone, regardless of their ethnicity, gender, age, religion and so forth.  Several of us were called "leaders" today (as you saw me post yesterday!), meaning we are essentially in charge of the FOR (Friends of Rachel) Club.  This club does various community service activities in and around our communities. I am actually pretty excited to join!

While yes the speaker was awesome and of course the leaders training was beneficial, the biggest thing I got from today was how much we should appreciate all those around us.  You never know when someone will be snatched away from you, so let the people you do have know that you love and care about them.  It doesn't have to be a family member or close friend.  Let EVERYONE know.  Everyone played some role in your life, rather it is a classmate you hardly speak to or a long lost elementary school friend.  Not everyone may have written a chapter in your book of life, but they have all at least written a sentence.  Appreciate them.

I think I am on such an appreciate roll because of not only Rachel's club, but because the last few days have really made me understand that everything can change in a second.  I called a former coworker this weekend to ask to meet up for dinner.  While on the phone, I heard that another former coworker has been diagnosed with lymphoma at the age of 45.  She just happened to find it, and luckily it seems that she'll be okay.  On Friday night, my roommate (who is my future sister-in-law), had a friend over.  They hung out, talked, watched TV, did the usual laid-back Friday activities.  On Saturday, the friend was diagnosed with leukemia.  In a blink of an eye, the friend's life changed forever.  What's saying that tomorrow my life won't change (even if for the best)?  What's saying that I am guaranteed to be here for my Maine trip this weekend?  What's saying that my family & friends are as healthy as they appear?  You just NEVER know what tomorrow brings, or what tonight brings, or what the next five minutes bring.  Love those around you and make everyday count.

Whew, with all that off my chest, I am off to bed!  5:30 comes way too soon, although I count my blessings everyday for being employed <3.




No comments:

Post a Comment