Sunday, October 9, 2011

Back from Maine....already!?

Rockland, Maine Harbor

I arrived home from my mini-Maine try just about two hours ago!  Pat and I stayed up there Friday night until today, and it was absolutely beautiful (as usual).  The weather was in the high 70s, which although it was nice, I kind of wished it was cooler.  We always go up on Columbus Day because we love the fall and its weather, so this trip was unseasonably hot.

The highlight of our stay was walking the Rockland Breakwater.  The Rockland Breakwater is a mile walk to the city's lighthouse.  This was the first time that we actually walked it, and boy, it was hard!  Before you judge that I am complaining about a two mile hike, keep in mind that I NEVER exercise (although I probably should) and it was on rocks that were uneven and had gaps in between each.   It was certainly a fun walk, especially because Pat and I got to talk and took our time.  When we got to the actual lighthouse, of course we had to go to the top!  BAD IDEA!!!!!  I am terrified of heights AND drowning so standing many feet above the deep water probably wasn't the smartest thing we could have done.  Even the other visitors and volunteers were checking to make sure I was okay because apparently I turned as white as a ghost.  The good news is, we were safe and sound once we were off the top!

While in Maine, we also checked out the Pumpkinfest in a nearby city.  At this festival, people carve the absolute coolest things into pumpkins.  Below you can see a cat pumpkin.  It is amazing what the artists can create!!  Besides seeing carved pumpkins, we watched the parade, tried pumpkin desserts and took lots and lots of pictures :-).

One of the many pumpkin creations :)

Pat and I also went on a haunted history tour through Camden.  It was definatley fun and interesting to learn not only about "haunted" sites, but also the history of Camden and the surrounding areas.  Did you know that the doughnut was created in Camden, ME?  Apparently a 15-year-old boy told his mother that he loved her baked goods, but they were took soggy.  He suggested that the middle be taken out and from then on, the doughnout was born.  That's a fun fact for you!

Like I said though, we're back home.  I am off tomorrow, but Pat has to go straight back to work.  We love our jobs, don't get us wrong, but there is something in Rockland that just captures our hearts <3.  We are hoping to move up there someday & I honestly cannot wait for that day.


Relaxing at the Harbor










No comments:

Post a Comment