Sunday, November 6, 2011

What a day....

Sunday, we meet again.  It always feels like Mondays approach within the blink of an eye.

Today has been a tough day.  This morning, Pat and I found out that at 2AM, his 91-year-old great grandmother fell down her stairs and broke her neck.  Come to find out, she suffered a heart attack, which caused the fall.  When she went down, she broke her neck and developed a blood clot in her back.  Not good.

Like I said, we found out this morning.  I had a training I had to go to at work, and since we heard she was stable, I attended.  However, I left within an hour because Pat called me to let me know that Beth Israel called back to say she was going downhill.  We went in to see her, and she was not looking good.  Please note that this woman is usually so peppy, full of smiles and is beyond nice and caring.  She was snoozing when we arrived, but the nurse woke her (or attempted to), so that we could see her and so that they could check to see if she knew answers to basic questions.  When she was asked her name, she stated her maiden name and when asked where she was, she thought she was in Calias, Maine (which is the city right next to her childhood home).  She did remember all our names, and managed to give us a smile and roll her eyes at the fact that she was in the hospital.

It goes without saying that we are all pretty upset.  I have not lost a family member since I was 8, so the whole hospital and sickness thing really terrifies me.  I even got very short of breath as I entered the ICU and saw Gram and the other patients.  As I said, this woman is beyond amazing.  I know that everyone always says positive things about people in these types of situations, but I am dead serious.  She would do ANYTHING for ANYONE.  No matter what time of night it was, she would always allow my fiance to stay there if needed.  No matter how much money she had, she always donates money to charity.  Recently, she gave a stranger a ride, which as we all told her, was silly to do, but that's just her.  I feel honored to say that the engagement ring I am wearing was her's originally.  She gave it to Pat for me when he was thinking of proposing.  It is from the 1930s, and when Pat asked me if I was okay with a ring that belonged to his grandmother as opposed to a new, larger ring, there was no question about the fact that it was simply perfect. 

As I head to bed tonight, I count our blessings that Pat's family's rock is in one of the best hospitals in the world.  While obviously it is not a good situation, I rest easy knowing that she is in Boston, a city where people all over the world travel to for medical care.  Also, as I hit the pillow, I keep Gram, or "Ginggy", in my prayers and thoughts.  I am not going to ask you to pray for her or speak to God on our behalf, as everyone has different views.  I am, however, asking that you think of her tonight.  Also, please, please, please, if you have someone near and dear to you, which I am sure you do, hug them a little closer tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment